Information Media and Telecommunications employs approximately 211,300 persons (ABS trend data), which accounts for 1.6 per cent of the total workforce. Over the past five years, employment in the industry has decreased by 0.3 per cent. The median age for workers in this industry is 38 years and median weekly earnings are around $1,347 per week.
Activities performed by businesses in the information media and telecommunications industry include:
- book publishing
- film, television and video production including advertising
- television and video distribution and broadcast and stock footage libraries
- cinemas, drive-ins, film festivals
- film post-production services including facilities, editing, special effects, animation
- internet publishing and broadcasting
- internet providers and data processing services
- library information services.
Top causes of injury:
There are a vast range of activities and workplaces within this industry. Each workplace presents its own safety challenges. But, across the industry common injuries are:
- sprains and strains from repetitive movements and manual handling practices
- fractures from falls and limbs trapped in machinery
- slips and trips
- hearing loss due to workplace noise.
You can view more information about common hazards in the industry here.
Blend Insurance Solutions Pty Ltd (ABN: 47 617 346 353 AFSL: 500768) (“blend”) is an underwriting agency and acts as agent under a binding authority for the Australian branch of Allied World Assurance Company, Ltd (ABN 54 163 304 907).
The content contained on this website is intended for insurance intermediaries only. The insurance products referred to on this website can only be purchased through a broker. Any information contained in this website has been prepared without taking into account your client’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before deciding to acquire, or to continue to hold, this product(s), we recommend that your client considers whether it is appropriate for their circumstances and reads the Product Disclosure Statement (‘PDS’) and all relevant policy wording, a copy of which can be obtained by contacting blend.