The accommodation and food services industry employs approximately 923,700 persons (ABS trend data), which accounts for 7.1 per cent of the total workforce. Over the past five years, employment in the industry has increased by 15.9 per cent. The median age for workers in this industry is 26 years and median weekly earnings are around $500 per week. This industry has a high number of work-related injuries and illnesses.
- In 2014–15, the industry had an incidence rate of 7.9 injuries and diseases per 1,000 workers, which was 25% lower than the rate for the Australian workforce.
View the Accommodation and food services: Priority industry snapshot here for an overview of the industry and its WHS performance.
A young workforce
The accommodation and food services industry has the highest proportion of workers (43%) aged 15–24 years.
This is significantly higher than any other industry—retail is the next highest with 32%—and almost three times higher than the proportion for the Australian workforce.
Highest proportion of part-time workers
The industry has the highest proportion of part-time workers (people who usually work less than 35 hours per week) in Australia.
- In 2012–13, 58% of workers in the industry worked part time, which is higher than any other industry and almost twice as high as the proportion of part-time workers in the Australian workforce.
Injuries and illnesses
Between 2010–11 and 2012–13:
- Body stressing led to the highest proportion (32%) of serious claims in the industry. Nearly half (48%) of all body stressing disorders arose from muscular stress while lifting, carrying or putting down objects.
- The bodily location most commonly affected by injuries and diseases that led to serious claims was the hand, fingers and thumb, which accounted for 22% of serious claims.
- The median time lost from work for a serious claim was four weeks.
- The median payment for a serious claim was $4,700.
View serious claims statistics in accommodation and food services industry on the Safe Work Australia site here. And learn about accident and sickness solutions designed to protect accommodation and food services industry workers here.
Source: Safe Work Australia - https://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au/accommodation-food-services